Sunday 16 January 2011

Test Shots

Beneath you will be able too see test shots i have taken to get an idea of exactly what photos i would like to feature on the cover and within my music magazine. Whilst taking these photos it has revealed to me that a lot of experimenting with camera angles, facial expression and body language is going to be needed to create an effective photo which also ties in with the genre of music i have chosen. These are some of the test shots that i took and some explanations as to whether i think they would work for my final piece. 

This photo is a close up of Matt's face and a small amount of his body and clothing. This is one of the photo's i actually found most effective. The main reason being the eye contact which is being made with the camera. I think this is something that immediately engages the reader and makes it feel personal. I think the angle has also worked well as it pursues a casual approach as if the artist has been caught slightly off-guard. I have changed this photo to grey scale which i also am keen on as i believe it can add an element of class to the magazine cover. 


Using a higher angle rather for this photo i feel that it could make the artist look a little vulnerable rather than in power, which is the type of image i would like to create within my article. So i think i would use an image from below or on the same level rather than one like this. I think that the colour within this photo is effective due to the little amount of saturation being used for the skin tone and hair but then the item of clothing being particularly eye-catching. This is something i think i will consider for my final shot as i think the clothing as well as the artist is important. I like the distance the model is away from the camera in this shot, as it is not to in your face. And i believe that if Matt was making eye contact with the camera this photo would be likely to draw in potential buyers. 




For this image i have come to the conclusion that it would be more suitable for a contents page or to feature on the double page spread. This is due to the fact of the lack of eye contact once again. Something that i think has worked well is the slightly lower camera angle which adds the slight element of power to Matt in this photo. Although, i think that for my front cover this is the maximum amount of my artists body i would like to feature. I have realised that if the shot is to distance it lacks in communication and contact with the target audience. I once again believe the colours work well within this shot. The clothing is something that stands out, and also the Matt's hair appears to be a main feature within the photo which is something i have realised i may consider. 




I think that this photo is effective due to its worn background. For my double page spread shoot i think that i have realised that i am going to use a setting which has a range of scenery rather than using photos that appear to have been taken in a studio. For example Matt's character can be slightly reflected by the scenery which is around him in this shot. I enjoy that he is face on and slightly leaning towards the camera which once again creates the idea of power. The black and white i think is also effective as it gives the artist a chance to really stand out. 





This photo has been taken from an extremely low angle. I think this makes the artist look powerful and also at a high status. This could  tie in greatly in relation to how they are going up in the music industry. So i may decide to use a shot such as this in my double page spread. I think this has made clear to me that i am sure i want to use a scenery background rather than a studio. The colours in this photo have also been edited which once again draws attention to the face and the clothing of the artist which is something i wish to continue throughout my magazine. 


      

No comments:

Post a Comment