Wednesday 5 January 2011

Magazine Name Ideas/Thoughts

After having spending a lot of time thinking about the name of my magazine i have decided to stick to a name relating generally to music, rather than the genre i am following, which is indie. The reason for this being, is that i think it is to complicated to find a specific indie related name which will give out the correct vibes for my magazine. Another decision that i have thought about for a while is whether to stick to a full word or an acronym, and i came to conclusion that i think a word will be much more appropriate. I think this because an acronym can only be used when it is clear what is stands for. For example something like NME (New Music Express) has been around for a long time, so buyers already know what they are going to be getting inside. If i was to create an acronym for my own magazine, this could cause confusion as to what it actually represents and the audience may be unsure as to what they are going to find inside.

I also think that for my magazine i would like to stick to a monosyllabic word. This is because i believe that they are much more powerful and to the point. For example, in my own personal opinion i think 'Q' is much more effective than 'Kerrang'. When choosing the final name of my magazine i will be taking this into consideration but also doing market research to see  how my audience feel about this matter and whether opinions differ.

2 comments:

  1. Well done Abbie. All these posts share a similar style and theme which tells me you have a reasonable idea of what you'd like to make. The music on the moodboard (Mystery Jets I think) leans towards indie 'pop' . If you cheat and look at this wikipedia entry on indie pop you might find inspiration for the magazine name http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_pop for example the C86 tapes which old people like myself would use looked like this http://www.tomorrowland.org/photos/uncategorized/cassette.jpg and share similar colour schemes to the ones you've highlighted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work on considering an authentic house style- looking forward to your pitch.

    ReplyDelete