Thursday 20 January 2011

Double Page Spread Article

She is the chic, style conscious, indie-pop sensation who has burst onto our music scenes with nothing short of a smile. Not to mention coming in at 2nd place in Radio 1's 'Sound of 2011'. Merely wishing to make music at her own content, "I never yearned for the fame" are the delicate words of the future musician and this years breakthrough act, Macy Stone. Flux got the chance to speak to the burgeoning talent herself, Macy takes us from her favourite hobbies right through to her UK tour which began earlier this month. 
So, being fairly new to the music industry, how does it feel to be recognised by so many people? To sum it up in one word would be 'crazy'. It's like, sometimes i forget about the place i've reached. I'm my own worst critic, so i never know if what i'm doing is any good. But then i am where i am, so i say "well someone must like my material". 
You're not wrong there. You decided to stick with your biological name 'Macy Stone' what influenced you on that decision? Well, i simply thought, it flows well and it's not something incredibly dull. I did opt for my middle name for a while, which resulted in 'Ella Stone' but couldn't get the hang of people calling me 'Ella', so that was never going to work!That was probably for the best then, and we know that you didn't have the easiest of up-bringing's, does that make your success even more worthy? You're right I did lose my mother at a young age, and my father not long after, but did always have people around me who were supportive. Although i believe i'm worthy of success just as any other artist is. I didn't yearn for the fame, but 'it found me' as some would say, and i couldn't be happier. I'd like to hope that one day people would find my journey inspiring in some way.
That's right, and no doubt that they will. Going back to inspiration, you have finished the first album now so where has your inspiration come from? The majority of the songs on the album are very real. I think it's essential that people can relate to some of to the lyrics, but also have fun with them. Many things inspire me though, from other artists to some silly state of mind that i might find myself in one day [laughs]. 
How did this all come together for you then, i mean where were you first discovered?It began when i got myself a few gigs around my hometown of Islington, then i somehow blagged myself a gig at Koko in Camden Town. Just before i was going to perform i heard someone from Rough Trade Records was coming to check out my set. At this point, my stomach was turning. Afterwards that's when we got talking, and it wasn't the quickest process, but i was eventually signed by Rough Trade. I died inside a little, to say i was on the same record label as music legends The Strokes took a bit of getting used to.
So the first  lbum is called 'The Limit' what's the reason behind choosing the name? Did you finish the final piece in time as expected? Basically, i believe that to some extent everything has to have a limit. Though, it's quite controversial as one thing that does not is music, so i suppose i love the contrast. Writing my album was a lengthy process, it took me around two years, but yes everything fell into place pretty much on time, which is unusual for me [laughs] and i've now gained a sense of pride. 
That's great news for all us fans. Being named one of the 'Sounds of 2011' by BBC Radio 1, surely that was overwhelming for you? Yeah. When i found out i didn't really believe it, i was like "no way, have they got me confused with someone else?" But yes, that was really something quite special for me, and i could not be more appreciative. I'm still a growing artist and i'm glad that has been recognised. 
I'm sure many are waiting to see what the future holds for you. Obviously music is your number one passion, but is there anything else you particularly enjoy? I've been described as a bit of tomboy in the past, as i suppose that's down to my affection for sports. I have to keep fit and go to the gym, otherwise i just feel discouraged. I used to go every morning before heading to the studio for recording. Fashion and having a sense of style is something that has become more important to me over the past few years also. 
And so that has been noticed. Your fashion is now something that appears to be regularly cropping up in the media, how would you describe your style? Well i think that the way a person chooses to dress, very much reflects the person themselves. I tend to go for a look that's quite clean, not too scruffy, however somewhat quite boyish when i feel like it. Experimenting with different garments is always enjoyable! If i had to pick someone with an idolising fashion sense it would have to be Alice Dellal, she's wicked. 
That's interesting. Speaking of idols, who is someone that you'd love to work with in the future? I could probably go on forever, but there are a couple that stand out to me. To work with Jack Steadman from Bombay Bicycle Club would be sublime, his voice fascinates me, and their music is just so soothing. Though, i did work with Laura- Mary Carter on one of the records which features on the album, and that was a bit of an honour for me. Blood Red Shoes have been one of my favourite bands over the past couple of years
You have a small UK Tour which began last week . Can you describe the reactions that you have received so far? The response that i have received is something that i could not be more blissful about. To have people singing my songs back to me whilst i'm on stage and hearing little screams of my name bounce off the walls is some what quite magical. 
You  have proved to be a success throughout the country it seems. This year looks set to be a busy one for you, are there any other goals you wish to achieve? My ultimate goal would to be asked to play at a festival. I'm not saying Glastonbury, but i imagine the atmosphere would just be unforgettable. Yeah, that would be super. 
That's a reachable goal then. It's been great speaking to you, and thank you for your time. All of us here at Flux cannot wait to hear the album. I'd like to hope so. Thanks very much for having me into the studio! Expect to hear the album early next month with the release set for April 7th.

2 comments:

  1. Abbie

    look at these pics for a sense of quirky indie

    http://www.oncewed.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/new-years-3.jpg

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6UzdmF8O-Oo/TPYgwtuv73I/AAAAAAAAnOE/0Gj-pYtwD0M/s1600/IMG_6237.jpg

    Look on Mr Ford's blog for a link to Annie Liebowitz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbie.

    I'll nitpick first then heap praise on you.

    Sort out your capital letters! Always use a capital I.

    Apart from that it's excellent, Camdens koko is the ideal venue and Rough Trade the right label. Your musical knowledge is beyond reproach. The writing is believable and there is a sense of 'character' behind your artist. Well done.

    ReplyDelete